Chris Rice
post Nov 17 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #1

The Old Man from the Mountain

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

http://gripperhell.blogspot.com/
http://www.software-henritzi.net/Articles/...ationDevice.pdf

At the BBB2 contest Dave Morton was telling me about the gripper calibrator he and Greg had come up with. It sounded like just exactly what has been needed for a very long time in our sport so I was excited when Greg sent me his article and pictures. I welded one up ASAP (mine mounts in my power rack) and ran all my grippers thru it along with the few I have borrowed at the moment. My numbers came out very close to theirs and were also very close to my personal impressions of the relative strengths. It will test grippers of all common sizes and models except for those with the huge handles diameters.
It’s very simple in construction so it will be easy for people to make and will allow a consistent method of measurement. I used plates weighed on a certified scale and included the spread of each gripper I did. I thought this might explain the different “feel” between grippers somewhat. If you make one and send the results to Greg – he will build a database of all grippers tested – it should be interesting.

--------------------
Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.
Douglas MacArthur

When people used to ask him how it was he became so incredibly strong, it was always the same, "strengthen your mind, the rest will follow". The Mighty Atom

Being prepared for any random task is not the same thing as preparing randomly for any task.
Greg Everett
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonathan McMilla...
post Nov 20 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17

Thanks for posting the link to the mad genius plans Chris!!!

See Tom Black's website for an article he did on converting the end of the handle force to the poundages that ironmind uses:

http://bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2/Grippe...ripperForce.htm

This way you can rate your grippers while you are waiting for the data base to be completed. Putting a setup like this together will definitly be on the to do list!!!

Jon@han

--------------------
"It's not something I really have to worry about personally, since an 8 year old Chinese girl with one leg could out-total me ..." Duane Hansen

+Quote Post
John Eaton
post Dec 4 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 33

I will be sending my grippers out to Chris to have him calibrate them for his records.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:54 AM